COPPER RIVER / PRINCE WILLIAM SOUND SALMON HARVEST TASK FORCE MEETING
Established in 1991, the Copper River/Prince William Sound Salmon Harvest Task Force (SHTF) is a bi-annual meeting of regional salmon fishery stakeholders and leaders. The meetings are chaired by the Alaska Department of Fish & Game regional leadership and open to the public. The most recent SHTF meetings were held in May and October of 2017. These meetings marked the successful reconvening of a task force effort that will continue on a bi-annual basis to foster long-term proactive communications between ADF&G management, industry leaders, Area E fishermen, and other stakeholders.
The SHTF has no authority of its own but is recognized by industry and the Commissioner of the Department of Fish & Game as a body working to represent the interests and objectives of the commercial fishing industry and fisheries stakeholders in the Prince William Sound and Copper River salmon management area. The key objective of the SHTF is to develop and make recommendations to the Department regarding fisheries management plans.
Current voting members of the SHTF include:
- CDFU Gillnet Division
- CDFU Seine Division
- Prince William Sound Set Net Association, President
- Prince William Sound / Copper River Fish & Game Advisory Committee, Chairman
- Trident Seafoods
- Ocean Beauty Seafoods
- Copper River Seafoods
- Prince William Sound Aquaculture Corporation (PWSAC), General Manager
- Peter Pan Seafoods
- Icicle Seafoods
- Valdez Fisheries Development Association
- Native Village of Eyak
- Copper River / Prince William Sound Marketing Association
Honorary non-voting members:
- Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
- Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation
- Alaska Department of Fish & Game, Regional Management
The Fall 2018 Salmon Harvest Task Force Meeting will be on October 10th.
submit your questions or comments to the task force through our form below.
Deadline for public comment submission is Sept. 22nd 2018 by 5pm.
The Spring 2018 Salmon Harvest Task Force Meeting
Friday, April 20 at 2 p.m. at the Cordova Center in Cordova, AK.
- A recommendation to the Department: In the event of a strong chinook salmon run ADF&G will follow the Copper River Chinook Management plan.
- The Copper River Marketing Association is now a voting member of the task force.
- The Native Village of Eyak was added to the task force.
- There will be 5 voting seats for processors and 2 non-voting seats, these seats will rotate through annually.
- Silver Bay Seafoods and North Pacific were brought in as members of the task force. They currently maintain the 2 non-voting processor seats.
The fall 2017 Salmon Harvest Task Force Meeting
thursday, October 5th at 2 p.m. at the Cordova Center in Cordova, AK.
- ADF&G was made a non-voting seat but will continue to chair future task force meetings.
- The board will send out solicitation to PWS and Copper River subsistence seat interests to be addressed at the next meeting.
-Task force members formed a committee to develop a rotating processors seat chart to address letters of interest from processors.
SUBMIT INPUT TO THE TASK FORCE FOR THE FALL 2018 MEETING
Cordova District Fishermen United is currently serving as the organizational lead for the SHTF meetings. CDFU solicits recommended agenda items and topics or questions from Area E fishermen, processors, and stakeholders. Please complete the form below to submit your suggestions or input for the task force members and future meetings. If you have specific questions about the task force, or wish to be considered as a new voting member, please submit your inquiries via the form below.